AVID Center has identified 11 characteristics of AVID Secondary implementation essential for maximum impact on student success. These 11 AVID Essentials are:
- AVID student selection must focus on students in the middle, with academic potential, who would benefit from AVID support to improve their academic record and begin college preparation.
- AVID program participants, both students and staff, must choose to participate in the AVID program.
- The school must be committed to full implementation of AVID, with students enrolled in the AVID year-long Elective class(es) available within the regular academic school day.
- AVID students must be enrolled in a rigorous course of study that will enable them to meet requirements for university enrollment.
- Instructional strategies are taught in the AVID Elective class to develop students’ organizational skills that promote academic self-management.
- A strong, relevant writing and reading curriculum provides a basis for instruction in the AVID Elective class.
- Inquiry and collaboration are used as a basis for instruction in the AVID Elective class and to promote critical thinking.
- A sufficient number of tutors must be available in the AVID Elective class(es) to facilitate student access to rigorous curriculum. Tutors should be students enrolled in colleges and universities, who can mentor students and facilitate tutorials, and they must be trained to implement the methodologies used in AVID.
- AVID program implementation and student progress must be monitored through the AVID Center Data System, and results must be analyzed to ensure success.
- The school or district has identified resources for program costs, has agreed to implement all AVID Essentials and to participate in AVID Certification. It has committed to ongoing participation in AVID professional learning.
- An active, interdisciplinary AVID site team collaborates on issues of student access to and success in rigorous college preparatory courses.
Information from http://www.avid.org/essentials-and-quality-assurance.ashx.